Financial Management Support Project
The Financial Management Support Project is aimed primarily at State Sporting Associations and originally emerged from industry feedback to WA Sports Federation and the Department of Sport and Recreation.
The industry highlighted concern with the resources required to undertake their accounts, issues pertaining to the accuracy, quality and legality of information and the difficulty in finding personnel to take responsibility for financial management aspects of their organisation.
The project commenced in September 2008 with two primary aims:
- To design and implement a financial framework for sport and recreation organisations that would lead to improved quality of financial information, efficiency of processing and consistency of approach; and
- Train and support boards, staff and volunteers to prepare and use their financial information to better plan and manage their organisation’s business.
The Financial Management Support Project remains committed to a personalised approach to assisting State Sporting Associations, however a recent extension of the project has resulted in a stronger focus on the development of resources and tools that will remain available after the conclusion of the project. These resources include:
- A budgeting and reporting software tool;
- A series of templates including financial policies and procedures to support the financial framework; and
- Written materials and example files, able to be downloaded, designed primarily to assist volunteer bookkeepers and treasurers
In addition to providing resources, the project will be bringing together a specialist bookkeeper network that will offer ongoing mentoring support and general advice to those responsible for preparing financial information in State Sporting Associations.
The project remains open to state sport and active recreation associations and further information can be requested though WA Sports Federation on 9387 8100 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WA Sports Federation recognises the valuable support of the Department of Sport and Recreation and Lotterywest in delivering the Financial Management Support Project.