The child safeguarding component of Fair Safe Sport is delivered by the WA Sports Federation through it’s Safe Clubs 4 Kids (SC4K) initiative, in partnership with the Department of Sport and Recreation, the Working with Children Screening Unit, the WA Police – Child Abuse Squad and Surf Life Saving WA. Safe Clubs 4 Kids encourages and supports the sport and active recreation industry to create and maintain safe environments for children and young people.
History shows that child abuse does occur across all sectors of the community, including the area of sport and active recreation. However, by taking a few simple steps such as the Safe Clubs 4 Kids 4 considerations, you can adopt a proactive approach to creating a safe environment for children and young people.
SC4K 4 Considerations:
- Make your rules clear
- Create, promote and follow appropriate policies, procedures and guidelines
- Get the right people
- Follow a screening procedure to recruit the right people
- Involve children and young people
- Create a culture where everyone can talk and act together
- Learn and respond
- Have an understanding of children’s needs and appropriate responses to any concerns, including reporting.
The above consideration are explained and worked through via one on one support with State Sporting Associations and Industry Representative Organisations, the SC4K workshops, the Safe Clubs 4 Kids website and other useful resources.
For up and coming workshops please click here.
For useful child safeguarding resources please click here.
For more information about the Fair Safe Sport Project contact the WA Sports Federation on 9387 0766 or via email.