Financial Management Support Project
The Financial Management Support Project is aimed at WA State Sporting Associations and their affiliated clubs. The idea behind the project originally emerged from industry feedback to the WA Sports Federation and the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
The industry highlighted concern about the resources required to undertake their financial management, including issues pertaining to the accuracy, quality and legality of information and the difficulty in finding personnel to take responsibility for financial aspects of their organisation.
The project commenced in September 2008 with two primary aims:
- To design and implement a financial framework for sport and recreation organisations that would lead to improved quality of financial information, efficiency of processing and consistency of approach; and to
- Support boards, staff and volunteers in preparing and using their financial information to better plan and manage their organisation’s business.
While remaining committed to a personalised approach to State Sporting Associations, an extension of the project focused on a stronger focus on the development of resources and tools. These resources include:
- Written materials and example files, able to be downloaded, designed primarily to assist volunteer bookkeepers and treasurers
- A series of financial policies and procedures to support the overall financial framework
- A budgeting and reporting software tool and associated materials
In addition to the resources, the project will be bringing together a specialist bookkeeper network that will offer mentoring and general advice to those responsible for preparing financial information in State Sporting Associations.
Further information on the project can be obtained from WA Sports Federation on 9387 8100 or by emailing email@example.com.
WA Sports Federation recognises the valuable support of the Department of Sport and Recreation and Lotterywest in delivering the Financial Management Support Project.